Monday, March 31, 2014

The Infernal Devices--Review



       This review has been a really long time coming; I listed this series on my post about favorite books many months ago! I will start by telling you that the first book, Clockwork Angel, was recommended to me on a list of books from a friend, and promptly forgotten about until she asked me several months later if I had read it.  I decided if it was that good that she specifically asked about it, I would get right on it. Well, 15 months later, I have not only read the entire trilogy twice, I have also listened to the 2nd and 3rd installments on audio book! (I just finished the other night, and decided to finally write about it while it was fresh in my memory.) 

     The story takes place in Victorian England, with a unique fantasy world that truthfully I wasn't sure I would enjoy at first. The plot revolves around Shadowhunters, who are a special race commissioned with the task of protecting the world from demons. The mythology that Cassandra Clare weaves throughout the books is very well thought out, and is built upon skillfully as the story unfolds; I never felt the momentum become bogged down with information. 

   I am not going to include plot details or even a synopsis; I am just going to ask you to please give this series a chance! If you have heard of The Mortal Instruments by the same author, just know that, for me, this prequel of sorts is FAR superior.  The story arc is second to none, and only one other series even compares for me in that arena, which is Harry Potter. The way the author builds the plot, character development, and relationships, brick by brick so to speak, to the ultimate climax and then resolution, is truly masterful. I have read a few series in which the 3rd and final book has been a disappointment for one reason or another; either it just doesn't live up to my expectations for the overall feeling (Mockingjay), or loses the momentum of the first two and nearly bores me to tears (Allegiant). The Infernal Devices not only did not disappoint, it simply soared above and beyond anything I could have hoped for! 
  
     I am so in love with many of the characters (which were complex and so fleshed out they felt real) and their stories, which for me is the most important part of any novel. I hope I have at least piqued your curiosity enough to pick up the first book. If you do read it or already have, please read my follow-up post "The Infernal Devices--Afterthoughts" (but not until you've read it, it contains spoilers!). I would love it if you would respond and let me know whether or not you feel the same way! 
       

          






No comments:

Post a Comment