Thursday, December 26, 2013

My Favorite Books of 2013

     This list isn't limited to books released in 2013, only to books I read this year.  Some of them I've already reviewed; most are probably on my A or B lists.  Although I don't read much nonfiction, I am including it as a category here, as well as audiobooks as a separate category.  I listen while I work, and usually choose books I'm interested in but not completely sure I will like, if that makes sense.  Usually, I'm right and they are just OK, but I had a couple surprises this year.  If I find myself trying to find time to listen to them when I'm not at work, I know I have found a winner! :)

     Best Fantasy Series: The Infernal Devices--I have yet to review this series, but that is coming soon!  I think I read the first one and maybe even two in December of 2012, but I read them all again anyway, so it still counts! :)  Seriously, I usually don't have all-time favorites, but this very well could be it for me in the fantasy series category.  It is as well-written as Harry Potter in my opinion, with the perfectly executed story arc and overall satisfaction, but has more emphasis on the love story, which you and I both know is a priority for me. :)  Very unique setting and some of the best characters, both primary and secondary.  Must also mention another trilogy I read 2x, The River of TimeI reviewed that one a few months ago.

     Best Romance:  Edenbrooke--I just reviewed this so won't say too much (check it out a few blog posts down), but seriously, other than Redeeming Love, of course, this is the BEST love story I have ever read!  Reminiscent of Jane Austen in setting but SO much easier to follow; it is, as I said, simply delightful! (and I don't talk like that!!)  The characters and their interactions are perfection; so sweet and heartfelt.

     Best Audiobook:  The Raven Boys--wasn't too sure if I would like this or not; and truly, if you find New Age-y stuff makes you uncomfortable, don't read it (e.g. physics, ley lines, etc.).  It is a story told somewhat slowly, as she does a lot of character development along the way.  This was one audiobook I almost wished I would have sat down to read instead, although I really did enjoy the narrator; he had such a pleasant southern drawl, it really was an addition rather than a detraction like some audiobook readers have been for me. Only problem? It's a trilogy (at least) with only the first 2 written... :(  Solid B+!

     Best Nonfiction: Finding Roses in the Dust : A Journey to a New Perspective--still working on this one, but it is an enjoyable yet very challenging account of a family's year in Afghanistan. It is really putting life in perspective for me. The chapter on thankfulness was spot-on.  Also have to recommend Fearless: The Undaunted Courage and Ultimate Sacrifice of Navy SEAL Team SIX Operator Adam Brown which I listened to on audiobook recently.

     Least Favorite:  I did start a couple series that I thought sounded interesting but ended up not even finishing the 2nd book: The Uglies.  First book was OK; 2nd book (The Pretties) I couldn't stand!  Also, The Selection; once again first book and premise wasn't bad, 2nd book I ended up skimming and I don't even care what happens enough to pick up the next one! 
 
     So that's that; it was a very good year for books for me!  I hope you get an idea for a book or series that you eventually pick up and love like crazy!  :)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment