Friday, December 13, 2013

To Kindle, or Not to Kindle

     

      I have been thinking for a few years now about getting myself a Kindle, and I finally did it for my birthday last month! Although I still prefer good old-fashioned print books, I can't deny the convenience; and so I have finally given in. For economical reasons, I went with the original ($69); the drawbacks I have found are: 1) it's not a touchscreen; you have to navigate with a 4-way arrow under the screen, and turn pages with buttons on the side; 2) there is not a built-in light and 3) compared to other options the contrast is not great.

     Because of these things, I talked my mom recently into purchasing the newer and improved Kindle Paperwhite ($119).  The improved contrast as well as the ability to adjust screen brightness (from completely unlit, like mine, to fairly bright) give you more options.  You can read in the dark without turning a separate light on, as well as read in bright sunlight more easily.  Now I really want to upgrade...already!! 

     Another option (which I would have considered, but I already share a tablet with my daughter) is the Kindle Fire HD 7".  In my opinion, this is a GREAT alternative to an iPad, and much more cost effective.  You have several options, from screen size, to adding 4G, but the original is a very affordable $174. 

     I realize there are other brands of e-readers out there, such as Nook, and others, but for me Kindle was always the way to go.  First of all, I am already an Amazon shopper, and I know there are frequent deals on Kindle books.  I have already purchased several for $0.99 or $1.99, as well as acquired a few for free!  It's also SO easy; when you order a Kindle, it is automatically connected to your Amazon account.  That way, whenever you buy a Kindle book, it can be set up easily to automatically download to your device.  

    I still plan to borrow from the library and purchase regular print books, but I am really happy to have my Kindle; one main reason is for trips.  Thinking about packing for Canada over Christmas becomes much easier, not to mention lighter!  Not only do I not have to haul the 800 page book I am planning to read, but if I actually finish it and want to read something else, I have several other options already at my fingertips.  And of course, I can always log into Amazon and purchase any Kindle ebooks that strike my fancy, downloaded in seconds!  Isn't technology amazing?  :)  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment